Canon 400d SLR advice

A place for Jay to post many pictures of empty warehouses as well as other to post pictures and discuss the geekier aspects of photography.

Moderator: ben306

Postby Captain Meowmix » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:40 pm

Thanks Dan
"Sex with Ben.... awesome" - Candyapple
Captain Meowmix

Reputation point: 30

Postby Captain Meowmix » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:30 pm

Haters be hating!

Ok here's my pathetic first 10 minutes with the camera. First 5 minutes were wasted shooting in manual focus instead of AF

Questions:

1) What do the black markings in the viewfinder represent? Do I use them to frame my focal point or something?

2) When shooting in AF, do you zoom using the lens grip or the digital zoom? I assume lens grip, because mechanical zoom is always better than digital?

3) I was shooting in close-up detail mode, what distance is this best for? ie under 30cm?

Thanks in advance
"Sex with Ben.... awesome" - Candyapple
Captain Meowmix

Reputation point: 30

Postby Hugh Jeers » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:48 pm

Captain Meowmix wrote:Haters be hating!

Questions:

1) What do the black markings in the viewfinder represent? Do I use them to frame my focal point or something?

2) When shooting in AF, do you zoom using the lens grip or the digital zoom? I assume lens grip, because mechanical zoom is always better than digital?

3) I was shooting in close-up detail mode, what distance is this best for? ie under 30cm?

Thanks in advance

Digital zoom is something you should try your best to avoid using. The photo stays the same size, it is just like using a magnifying glass on a 6 x 4 - The size of the photo is the same, but you're just zooming on the detail.
Hugh Jeers

Reputation point: -5

Postby Tweedie » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:14 am

If you mean this

Then thats your focus points. When one of those area's are not in focus and it should be they will flash red. Well they usually do. Some shot may require for you to have them red but you should be able to change how many points of focus you want depending on the type of picture your trying to take. Macro should just use one really cos generally the rest of the shot is out of focus.

When shooting close up. change the camera mode to either Manual or Macro Mode (small flower symbol) and then start about 10-15cm away from your object then zoom in or move closer until you get a good focal point where you can still focus on the object. Some lens' don't like it so you MIGHT need to go into manual focus mode.

Hope this helps

I Might Have What You Want Just Ask
Tweedie

Reputation point: 0

Previous

Return to Photography Discussion