For Jaffa...

A place for Jay to post many pictures of empty warehouses as well as other to post pictures and discuss the geekier aspects of photography.

Moderator: ben306

For Jaffa...

Postby LM » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:17 pm

..and anyone else stuck with HDR, done a very quick tutorial showing the basics needed to create one.

Open up your RAW file in the editor, your editor will probably be different with different models of camera, but they should all work the same.

Go to File > Convert & Save, name the photo and save it. It'll then convert it from a RAW file to a JPEG.

Then, move the exposure slider down so instead of it reading 0.00, it reads -1.00.

Convert & Save.

Do the same again, but the oposite way, so that the slider shows +1.00.

Convert & Save.

Close the editor.

Now you should have 3 photos with different exposures. One correct, one under exposed and one over exposed.

Click on Generate HDR, and load all 3 photos into photomatix at the same time (Shift & Click).

Once Photomatix has loaded your photos, you will start off with something that looks like a half blown out, heavy contrased mess.

Click on Tone Mapping, play about & see what you can come up with by moving the sliders around etc.

When you're happy, generate it, save it, open it in photoshop and do what other bits you want to, and that's your HDR.

I find that HDR's work better with 3 exposures straight from the camera, rather than altered exposures in the RAW editor. Also, HDR doesn't seem to work well for everything, so don't be dissapointed if some come out shite, it takes a while to get the hang of. It's usually the un-expected photos that turn out the best.

HTH.
LM

Reputation point: 0

Postby simon justin nixon » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:29 pm

Nice walk through that mate.
simon justin nixon

Reputation point: 15

Postby Jaffa » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:45 pm

Ahhh, I know how to do HDR's, it's just the way that you said you can do one from a RAW file, then talked about exposures.

Changing the contrast isn't exposure, or is it? That's what had me confused, I thought that there'd be a setting to actually change exposure. But thanks for taking the time Little one :tu:
Jaffa

Reputation point: 10

Postby LM » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:51 pm

The contrast & exposure are two different things fella. There is a 'setting' to change the exposure dude, it's the sliding bar on the top right of my screenshot's, that's the beauty of shooting in RAW, it doesn't lock all the information into place like you get with a JPEG, you can get back to the computer and alter bits if needs be, and then convert to a JPEG when you're happy.

It's a little bit of a ballache at first, having to convert all your photos into JPEG, but you soon get used to it and it makes all the difference.
LM

Postby Jaffa » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:29 pm

LM wrote:The contrast & exposure are two different things fella. There is a 'setting' to change the exposure dude, it's the sliding bar on the top right of my screenshot's, that's the beauty of shooting in RAW, it doesn't lock all the information into place like you get with a JPEG, you can get back to the computer and alter bits if needs be, and then convert to a JPEG when you're happy.

It's a little bit of a ballache at first, having to convert all your photos into JPEG, but you soon get used to it and it makes all the difference.

To me that slider says brightness adjustment, not exposure :?

Can you see now were I'm coming from? I thought exposure was how exposed the lens is to light and I have no idea how on earth you can replicate that with software.

I did have a mess around with it last night, but found that the greatest HDR's are of 3 RAW images, all 3 images edited a little. Well, that's IMO.
Jaffa

Postby LM » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:44 pm

Jaffa wrote:To me that slider says brightness adjustment, not exposure :?

Can you see now were I'm coming from? I thought exposure was how exposed the lens is to light and I have no idea how on earth you can replicate that with software.

I did have a mess around with it last night, but found that the greatest HDR's are of 3 RAW images, all 3 images edited a little. Well, that's IMO.

Yeah, I see what you're saying fella, but that's in effect the the result you would get from a long/shorter exposure. So when it shows -1.00, that's how your photo would look if you had been 1 stop under exposed.

I still stand by my opinion of 3 RAW shots from the camera working better for a HDR, than 1 RAW converted into 3 differently exposed JPEGS.
LM

Postby Captain Meowmix » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:07 pm

So you end up with a final picture that makes the car look like somebody trapped some milk under the lacquer? :?

Fucking great :pmsl:
"Sex with Ben.... awesome" - Candyapple
Captain Meowmix

Reputation point: 30

Postby LM » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:21 pm

That's the only RAW file I had that would show the effects of it, it doesn't really work too well on black cars, it's better used with landscapes etc.

Something like these, which R uber.

LM

Postby Captain Meowmix » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:30 pm

FUCK :shock:

Stunning man, absolutely amazing.
"Sex with Ben.... awesome" - Candyapple
Captain Meowmix

Reputation point: 30

Postby Kev_Mk3 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:09 am

awesome ill try tomorrow as ill take the camera to work :D
[url=http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s91/bryshagskids/KevG.jpg]Image
[/URL]
Kev_Mk3

Reputation point: 5

Postby Jaffa » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:29 pm

LM wrote:That's the only RAW file I had that would show the effects of it, it doesn't really work too well on black cars, it's better used with landscapes etc.

Something like these, which R uber.

Mine don't look ANYTHING like that :pmsl:
Jaffa

Postby LM » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:10 pm

Mine NEVER look anything like that, but we can always dream eh. :pmsl:

Closest i've ever got to something even remotely like that, is my 'moody sky' HDR that came out well by accident.
LM

Postby Ste » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:56 pm

Not keen on the above HDR's, too over cooked, i prefer more subtle one's thaqt just bring that extra bit of detail out..
Ste

Postby ben306 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:53 pm

So what software would I need to be able to do this with my photos if I wanted to have a play?
ben306

Postby LM » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:59 pm

Photomatix fella.
LM

Return to Photography Discussion