Iconic pictures.

A place for Jay to post many pictures of empty warehouses as well as other to post pictures and discuss the geekier aspects of photography.

Moderator: ben306

Iconic pictures.

Postby Vidal » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:56 pm

OK, some nice, some not, some happy, some not. All are icons of the art of photography.

Discuss.

Sudan, 1994.
The picture depicts stricken child crawling towards an United Nations food camp, located a kilometer away.

The vulture is waiting for the child to die so that it can eat him. This picture shocked the whole world. No one knows what happened to the child, including the photographer Kevin Carter who
left the place as soon as the photograph was taken.

Three months later he committed suicide due to depression.

Picture of cover of The Beatles album, Abbey Road, showing John, Ringo, Paul and George crossing the street. The view really is Abbey Road, London, NW8 looking north. The gates of the Abbey Road Studios are behind the white VW Beetle on the left.

Black and white photo by H Roger-Viollet of a train accident at the Montparnasse station in Paris on 22 October, 1895 when engine 120-721 failed to stop at the platform, went through a first-floor window and crashed down onto the street.

The girl in the picture is Phan Thị Kim Phúc also known as Kim Phuc (born in 1963), a nine-year old running naked and severely burned on her back by a napalm atack.

Photographer Huynh Cong Ut, known by his colleagues as Nick, was working there as a photo journalist for Associated Press at the time and took a number of photographs of the villagers trying to escape the napalm. This one, epitomising the savagery and tragedy of the conflict, won him the coveted Pulitzer Prize and became one of the most published photos of the Vietnam war.

The boy is her older brother Tam who survived the attack but lost an eye. Ut (the photographer) poured water onto the young girl and took her and some of the other children to a hospital near Saigon where she spent fourteen months recovering from the horrific burns to her skin.

Raising the Flag on Iwo Jima is a historic photograph taken on February 23, 1945, by Joe Rosenthal. It depicts five United States Marines and a U.S. Navy corpsman raising the flag of the United States atop Mount Suribachi during the Battle of Iwo Jima in World War II.

A lone protester stops tanks in the 1989 Tianamen Square Uprising.

Star forming pillars in the Eagle Nebula, as seen by the Hubble Space Telescope’s FPC2. These eerie, dark pillar-like structures are actually columns of cool interstellar hydrogen gas and dust that are also incubators for new stars. The pillars protrude from the interior wall of a dark molecular cloud like stalagmites from the floor of a cavern.

Picture of segregated water fountains in North Carolina taken in 1950 by Elliott Erwitt.

The ‘Second Great Fire of London is commemorated in a famous photograph taken from the roof of the Daily Mail building by Herbert Mason, in which the dome of St Paul’s Cathedral rises above clouds of black smoke. Taken in 1940.

This picture was shot by Eddie Adams who won the Pulitzer prize with it. The picture shows Nguyen Ngoc Loan, South Vietnam’s national police chief executing a prisoner who was said to be a Viet Cong captain.

Wide range of pictures, but most memorable ones seem to involve violence and death, others that stick in the mind are Albert Einstein in 1951 sticking his tongue out,
Marylin Monroe with her billowing skirt,
The mouse with the ear grafted on,

HMS Antelope exploding in 1982 (hint, hint, see my Falklands history pages)

Go on then - if you could have taken one picture - and only one that would define your photographic career, which would it be?

V.
Dear Godz, I had no idea that there were so many fuckwited, over indulged, pointless, air stealing, mong cunts on any forum in the land.....

J.DOOP wrote:You are such a smarmy know it all cunt sometimes.
Vidal

Reputation point: 0

Postby Sy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:24 pm

I've seen them all before, but still they all stun me even now. But for me the most moving is Jeff Wideners "The Unknown Rebel", which is the lone protester v tanks shot. If any one picture really did say 1000 words, that for me is it.

The segregation water fountain shot amazes me now though, how far things have progressed thankfully.

But one shot to define my whole career...ooh I need to think about that.
Sy

Postby LM » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:52 pm

Photos definatly leave you deep in thought, especially the top one, sums up just how lucky we actually are, even though we moan constantly.

I haven't got a photo that sums up my time in photography, if i'm honest. It's only this last 8 months or so that i've began to fully understand whats needed to create a good photograph.
LM

Postby simon justin nixon » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:00 pm

Some truly iconic photo's V. It's the ones that depict war which get me. Managing to capture the horror of the war in a photo is some impressive talent. Maybe partial opportunism, but definitely a combination of the pair.

Sat and thought about a photo that I would have loved to have taken...one which I would class as iconic.... hmm. It would probably be the mushroom cloud from Hiroshima... but I don't know. Without casting my mind back over all the history stealing moments that have happened in my life time and prior, I'd be hard pressed to think of one specific frame I'd like to have captured on a still.
simon justin nixon

Reputation point: 15

Postby Hugh Jeers » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:10 pm

It's stuff like this what triggers thoughts for me.

Hugh Jeers

Reputation point: -5

Postby Bodge » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:23 pm

If it ain't broke...break it so you can fix it.
Bodge

Postby Kev_Mk3 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:48 pm

they are all truly iconic pictures. TBH find the one that bodge posted of the man jumping out the window horrific that he had done that :(

Pictures capture history and memories to me so i will never ever be able to choose 1 or a batch of pictures.
[url=http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s91/bryshagskids/KevG.jpg]Image
[/URL]
Kev_Mk3

Reputation point: 5

Postby Bodge » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:52 pm

Kev_mk3 wrote:they are all truly iconic pictures. TBH find the one that bodge posted of the man jumping out the window horrific that he had done that :(

Pictures capture history and memories to me so i will never ever be able to choose 1 or a batch of pictures.

Yet in a strange way, it must have been a weird sensation falling?

^ Serious post by the way.
If it ain't broke...break it so you can fix it.
Bodge

Postby simon justin nixon » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:52 pm

simon justin nixon

Reputation point: 15

Postby Kev_Mk3 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:56 pm

The Bodgemeister wrote:Yet in a strange way, it must have been a weird sensation falling?

^ Serious post by the way.
yeah i get what you mean. its like the last few moments of your life your totally free, nothing to describe the sensation of free fall - yet you know your going to die.
[url=http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s91/bryshagskids/KevG.jpg]Image
[/URL]
Kev_Mk3

Reputation point: 5

Postby LM » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:08 am

Planes scare the shit out of me, full stop. It's very narrow minded, but IMO something that big, that can cause THAT much damage, and en-danger that many people, shouldn't be 20,000ft in the air. It just shouldn't.
LM

Postby Teknobry » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:08 pm

I find pictures like this awe inspiring, but the problem for me is one of scale. It just doesn't look like that those gas clouds are thousands of miles in length.
Teknobry

Reputation point: 42

Postby 3i » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:56 pm

Robert Capa went ashore with the first wave of US troops to hit Omaha beach on June 6th 1944. This is the beach that was featured at the start of "Saving Private Ryan" so you know pretty much what happened as soon as those ramps went dowm. Capa captured some amazing photos in his time, but D-Day is the single greatest combined-arms military undertaking in the history of makind, and the war in europe changed the world, so this photo shows something important.

Capa took over 70 photos of this first wave, some of which would have been graphic evidence of one of the hardest nuts to crack on D-Day, but an over enthusiastic lab tech back in England cooked his negatives in the rush to get the photos out so he could have a look . Only seven survived, and they're the only photos of Omaha's first wave to date.

One interesting thing to note is that photos of dead american servicemen were never released until a few years after the war, obviously to avoid people seeing their dead children/brothers/husbands in the paper... however, a crew carrying $1 Million dollars worth of colour film technology is supposed to have gone ashore with Omaha's first wave and recorded the whole landing in colour. The footage, according to Stephen Ambrose, simply disappeared. I have read a couple of times about this mysterious footage... what a viewing that would make.

by the way, it is not just Spielberg being dramatic when he shows the waves rolling in red with the blood of soliders. This was reported by several pilots flying sorties over normandy that day. On the other beaches, I have read descriptions of the beach being monotone brown from the uniforms of dead british soldiers. And to think chavs and other scum deface war memorials...
[url=http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5162/5226367468_80d2b62eed.jpg]
[/URL]
3i

Postby Captain Meowmix » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:48 pm

I agree with the above pics (9/11, Hiroshima, Tianenmen etc...)

Here's a couple more...

USS Missouri

Hitler in the final days of the Battle for Berlin, meeting his front line soldiers.

"Sex with Ben.... awesome" - Candyapple
Captain Meowmix

Reputation point: 30

Postby Vidal » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:19 pm

Got some more pictures.

Challenger Space Shuttle explodes after take off.

"Oh, the humanity" - Hindenberg disaster.

Robert Capra captures the moment of death in the Spanish Civil War.

V.
Dear Godz, I had no idea that there were so many fuckwited, over indulged, pointless, air stealing, mong cunts on any forum in the land.....

J.DOOP wrote:You are such a smarmy know it all cunt sometimes.
Vidal

Next

Return to Photography Discussion