Iconic pictures.

A place for Jay to post many pictures of empty warehouses as well as other to post pictures and discuss the geekier aspects of photography.

Moderator: ben306

Postby Diz » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:02 am

The one were Hitler is shaking hands with his frontline troops is shocking, they look about 13 years old.
Diz

Reputation point: 0

Postby Captain Meowmix » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:02 pm

Fluffy muff wrote:The one were Hitler is shaking hands with his frontline troops is shocking, they look about 13 years old.

It was common to see boys of 12/13 on the front line at that time, they were pretty much all that was left along with Volksturm (Old men, mentally ill, criminals etc...), SS (mostly foreign troops by then) and a few regular army units.

Girls of the same age (and younger boys) were enlisted to operate anti-aircraft guns, run food + ammunition to the front line and generally help out wherever they could. Women were given Panzerfausts (anti tank weapons) which had the instructions printed on them of how to use them.

Total war.
"Sex with Ben.... awesome" - Candyapple
Captain Meowmix

Reputation point: 30

Postby Diz » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:22 pm

Lord Codwand wrote:It was common to see boys of 12/13 on the front line at that time, they were pretty much all that was left along with Volksturm (Old men, mentally ill, criminals etc...), SS (mostly foreign troops by then) and a few regular army units.

Girls of the same age (and younger boys) were enlisted to operate anti-aircraft guns, run food + ammunition to the front line and generally help out wherever they could. Women were given Panzerfausts (anti tank weapons) which had the instructions printed on them of how to use them.

Total war.

Yer ive read about Hitler using young children and old men etc at the battle of Berlin but never actually seen a picture showing the young lads in uniforms tooled up ready for war. The picture certainly hit me more than a few words in a book.
Diz

Postby 3i » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:10 pm

how about seeing one such boy hung from a lamp post with a sign round his neck saying "I Am a traitor to my country", because he popped two streets back to see his mother instead of manning the line.

Read some Max Hastings if you want to know more.
[url=http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5162/5226367468_80d2b62eed.jpg]
[/URL]
3i

Previous

Return to Photography Discussion