Cameras

A place for Jay to post many pictures of empty warehouses as well as other to post pictures and discuss the geekier aspects of photography.

Moderator: ben306

Cameras

Postby Tony » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:39 pm

I'm looking at getting myself another half decent camera. Funds are tight though.

Previously I had a Fuji S5800, which to be honest did everything I needed it to. This ended up getting lost though. Looking at these, I can pick one up for around £90 second hand. Alternatively I've seen an S9600 for around £140 second hand.

Are there any other cameras I should consider around this price range? (Up to £175). Also, are there any forums with for sale sections that I could have a browse through?

Spiderman, batman, superman... Sucks to be Elephantman!
Tony

Reputation point: 0

Postby LM » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:04 pm

Get yourself over onto www.talkphotography.co.uk fella, theres always packs and packs of camera stuff being sold on there, and the forums uber busy too. It's mostly DSLR stuff, but theres a lot of camera equipment and other gear that gets sold on there too.

If you can get the S9600 for around £140, i'd try and go for that fella, it'll be a better camera. I think Mark (Sutty) and Beaver had one at some point, was a dinky enough little thing and didn't do half bad photo/quality wise either.

The only other camera I can think of that's suppost to be good, aswell as well priced, is the Canon Powershot G9, but i'm unsure on second hand prices, I dont think they will be as low as £175. Allthough you may find a bargain, as the G10 is out now.
LM

Postby simon justin nixon » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:31 pm

JayD's camera?
simon justin nixon

Reputation point: 15

Postby Hugh Jeers » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:34 pm

My camera ain't as good as the S5800 Mike :cry:
Hugh Jeers

Reputation point: -5

Postby simon justin nixon » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:26 pm

Ah sorry my bad I posted before I compared.
simon justin nixon

Reputation point: 15

Postby Tony » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:18 pm

Any opinions on the Sony A200?

Tony

Postby Hugh Jeers » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:27 pm

Ever thought about a Nikon Coolpix T? Mrs has the 8MP one, S210 I think it is. It's a good 'un too, she paid about £100 for it, but there's better specced ones for the sort of budget you're looking at. I've dealt with buyacamera.co.uk twice now, and they are decent prices. It's something to do with Wildings, so you wouldn't go far wrong. I'm selling all my camera gear and getting a compact, looking at either a Coolpix or a Powershot (Canon) like LM mentioned.
Hugh Jeers

Postby Tony » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:29 pm

Pretty much over looked the compacts fella (probably more due to ignorance than anything else).

Can you get the same quality of pics from a compact?

Tony

Postby Hugh Jeers » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:33 pm

If you go on 28DL, and search for photos done by a lad called Spook, he used a Coolpix, unsure what model, but it's a fairly old 'un. You won't get the same number of features with the compacts as you would with the bridge type cameras, like the S5600/5800, and you won't get the same zoom neither. But I'm going for a compact because of the ease of you, I just can't be bothered dicking about with the settings anymore. Half the battle in taking photos is having the eye for the photo. If you've got that, most cameras will be adequate for you (in my opinion).

On a sidenote re: the Powershot, in one of the photography mags I have, one of the blokes uses a Powershot G9, and he's a professional photographer, carries it everywhere because lugging an SLR about is inconvenient for him for anything other than studio work.
Hugh Jeers

Return to Photography Discussion