Nikon D90 Announced

A place for Jay to post many pictures of empty warehouses as well as other to post pictures and discuss the geekier aspects of photography.

Moderator: ben306

Nikon D90 Announced

Postby LM » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:50 pm

For those that like to fuck their own sister.

Nikon announces D90 with video capabilities.

Following on Canon's news of its 50D, Nikon has announced the launch of its D90, destined to replace the D80.

A day after the announcement of Canon’s EOS 50D designed to compete directly with Nikon’s D80 digital SLR, the Japanese firm has revealed details of its updated model – the D90, which features, for the first time in this market segment, a video mode.

The new model, which will retail at the end of September, sees Nikon take the lead with the introduction of a new feature not available in similar models from its competitors. While Nikon UK admitted that the firm will gauge interest from professional photographers before expanding the feature to more professional cameras, the D90 is expected to gain greater interest from enthusiast photographers.

The 12.3 million pixel resolution DSLR features a newly-designed DX-format CMOS sensor, which coupled with Nikon’s Expeed image processing system provides a higher ISO sensitivity that ranges from 200 to 3200 (expandable to an ISO 6400 equivalent on Hi1 and ISO 100 on Lo1).

The Expeed technology also allow for better performances in Live View mode and with the newly-introduced Face Detection System, inherited from Nikon’s Coolpix point-and-shoot cameras.

The D90 also shares some of the Nikon’s D3 and D300 flagship cameras’ features, such as the Scene Recognition System that uses a 420-pixel RGB sensor to analyse scene and colour information of the subject photographed. Based on these readings, the camera optimises its focus, exposure and white balance just before the shutter is released. In addition, in the camera’s 11-point AutoFocus mode, it uses the subject’s colour information to maintain a sharp focus as the subject moves in the frame.

But maybe the D90’s most surprising feature is the introduction of video capabilities. Claimed to be the first mid-class DSLR to offer a movie function, the D90 can record up to five minutes of high definition 720p, and an additional 15 minutes in other modes. The video mode is compatible with Nikkor’s range of lenses from fisheye to telephoto glasses. The D90 can also record sounds in mono.

The camera also features a three-inch LCD screen with 170° viewing angle. Autofocus can be controlled in Live View mode with three options available – face priority, wide area and normal area.

The D90 will retail at £700 (body only) and £850 with the new 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens. For more details, visit www.nikon.co.uk.
http://www.bjp-online.com/public/showPage.html?page=811639
LM

Reputation point: 0

Postby simon justin nixon » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:07 pm

Can someone tell me why this is worse than the canon? Other than it being Nikon?
simon justin nixon

Reputation point: 15

Postby LM » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:51 am

Possibly a question for Sy, as I have no idea, allthough i'm sure Sy will feel inbred just thinking about replying. :pmsl:

One thing i've wondered about Nikons, why do the ISO's range from 200 to ?....why not 100 like other cameras?
LM

Postby LM » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:53 am

Double post.
LM

Postby Sy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:59 am

I've not even looked at the spec, and doubt I will in honesty, but the Nikon D300 is the direct rival to the Canon 50D, hence it's early release...along with all the leaks PMSL.

The D90 is the replacement to the D80, which is still quite entry level in the Nikon game.

But to answer your question Mike. Look at that 360 panorama from the Olympics that I posted and count how many Canon bodies and lens you can see compared to Nikon. Canon is the manufacturer of professionals.

Nikon aren't bad and I won't get dragged into the whole Canon v Nikon argument, although I have seen scientific FACT, by the same people that make Dettol, that all Nikon owners have webbed feet, sleep with their siblings and have less brain cells then an Amoeba.
Sy

Postby simon justin nixon » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:26 am

Sy wrote:Nikon aren't bad and I won't get dragged into the whole Canon v Nikon argument, although I have seen scientific FACT, by the same people that make Dettol, that all Nikon owners have webbed feet, sleep with their siblings and have less brain cells then an Amoeba.

Technically, with the amoeba being a SCO (single cell organism) it doesn't have any brian cells?:pmsl:
simon justin nixon

Reputation point: 15

Postby LM » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:44 am

+

= LM.
LM

Postby Albino-Jay » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:48 am

Whenever I have seen a "Photographer" or any on TV etc the majority seem to have Nikons?

Anyways. Doesn't look like a bad camera, the video mode would come in handy.

Think I shall be upgrading to Canon though when I get my arse in gear.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LM wrote:but when my tripod's fully extended, I can't see the view finder without being on my tip toes
Albino-Jay

Reputation point: 5

Postby Sy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:15 am

Mike H wrote:Technically, with the amoeba being a SCO (single cell organism) it doesn't have any brian cells?:pmsl:

:no: You have disappointed me Mike. :(

Albino-Jay wrote:Whenever I have seen a "Photographer" or any on TV etc the majority seem to have Nikons?

Anyways. Doesn't look like a bad camera, the video mode would come in handy.

Think I shall be upgrading to Canon though when I get my arse in gear.

Dunno what sports you are watching then...in nearly all professional level sports Canon outnumber Nikonned by a MASSIVE percentage. Just look for the L glass to make it easier for you. :pmsl:.

I'm not sure why a DSLR would even require the ability to record video. Just a fucking stupid gimmick in my eyes and shows that Nikon don't rate that camera, or it's users, any better then a point and shoot amateur. Why people are bothering with Nikon entry level is beyond me. They obviously couldn't give a shit about their customer and think they are all brain dead morons...and then they go an prey on the stupid with evil tricks such as AF-S only lens being fully compatible. :no:

Jay the fact that you are going to upgrade to Canon gear speaks volumes. Come to the dark side, we have cookies. :nod:
Sy

Postby LM » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:17 am

I've noticed that in most cases, pro's use Canon. Olympics, motorsport etc. But there seems to be quite a number of the pap's that use Nikon, especially the D3.

Paparazzi suck cock anyway, i'm sure if it was any other situation it'd be classed as stalking.
LM

Return to Photography Discussion