The laws on photography...

A place for Jay to post many pictures of empty warehouses as well as other to post pictures and discuss the geekier aspects of photography.

Moderator: ben306

The laws on photography...

Postby Jaffa » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:32 am

I've read some horror stories of people having their cameras confisagated and Police threatening to arrest certain people mainly in the London area but also in other big city centres like Manchester.

This: http://www.met.police.uk/about/photography.htm should be printed and put in your bag for if you ever find yourself in one of these situations, I've printed a few copies for myself to pass around to friends, I recommend that you do the same ;)
Jaffa

Reputation point: 10

Postby ben306 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:49 pm

Ive heard about this on TP.

Ill have to print a few copies off when Im back and keep them with me.

Had a few issues here when taking photos in then subways etc, with security and police giving me grief about it!
ben306

Reputation point: 0

Postby LM » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:59 pm

Already got a copy in my bag :tu:
LM

Postby Jaffa » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:25 pm

LM wrote:Already got a copy in my bag :tu:

Beaver has confirmed by the way.

See you tomorrow my horrible little bastard of a man x
Jaffa

Postby Captain Meowmix » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:34 pm

I got stopped taking pictures of that armed stand-off down the road from here, despite me being reasonably sure I could take pics of what the hell I wanted
"Sex with Ben.... awesome" - Candyapple
Captain Meowmix

Reputation point: 30

Postby Jaffa » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:14 pm

Captain Meowmix wrote:I got stopped taking pictures of that armed stand-off down the road from here, despite me being reasonably sure I could take pics of what the hell I wanted

To be honest, they have no power to stop you taking photo's unless it's of something like your Muslim friend strapped with C4 stood next to Buckingham palace. But even then, you could just pull the race card, fucking dirty racist police officers :no:
Jaffa

Postby Vidal » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:17 pm

The police have NO powers to ask you to delete images from your camera - that can only be done with a court order as it could be construed as destruction of evidence. Anyone who tells you to delete an image, you need to refuse and speak with a senior officer about the rules regarding safeguarding evidence. The image could be your only defence that you were acting lawfully (or unlawfully) therefore any destruction of that evidence would negate your chances of a fair hearing.

V.
Dear Godz, I had no idea that there were so many fuckwited, over indulged, pointless, air stealing, mong cunts on any forum in the land.....

J.DOOP wrote:You are such a smarmy know it all cunt sometimes.
Vidal

Postby Captain Meowmix » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:41 pm

Jaffa wrote:To be honest, they have no power to stop you taking photo's unless it's of something like your Muslim friend strapped with C4 stood next to Buckingham palace. But even then, you could just pull the race card, fucking dirty racist police officers :no:

Vidal wrote:The police have NO powers to ask you to delete images from your camera - that can only be done with a court order as it could be construed as destruction of evidence. Anyone who tells you to delete an image, you need to refuse and speak with a senior officer about the rules regarding safeguarding evidence. The image could be your only defence that you were acting lawfully (or unlawfully) therefore any destruction of that evidence would negate your chances of a fair hearing.

V.

The way I put it to the officer was along the lines of "what if there's an accident and one of your guys shoots him". I'd have video or photo evidence that potentially shows the suspect making an aggressive move or threatening somebody. On the other hand it could also show police brutality (as per G8 summit?)

Either way, like you say, I'm within my rights. I know now for sure thanks to Snugglecakes jaffa :wub:
"Sex with Ben.... awesome" - Candyapple
Captain Meowmix

Reputation point: 30

Postby Tweedie » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:24 pm

I think you just have to be polite about it. If you start screaming at them then i can imagine they will get shirty with you no matter what.

I would just ask for them to show me a sign/court order that advises me that i am not allowed to take photograph's of city centers. They can't remove you from the street doing it either, saying that if you are asked to then do so. As if you refuse you could be done for restraint and then they will probably ask why you were refusing.

I suppose you could try and seu them for embarrassment and harrassment afterwards couldn't you?

I Might Have What You Want Just Ask
Tweedie

Postby Kev_Mk3 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:49 pm

saw this and thought it may help =

http://photographernotaterrorist.org/bust-card/
[url=http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s91/bryshagskids/KevG.jpg]Image
[/URL]
Kev_Mk3

Reputation point: 5

Return to Photography Discussion