Shooting in RAW

A place for Jay to post many pictures of empty warehouses as well as other to post pictures and discuss the geekier aspects of photography.

Moderator: ben306

Shooting in RAW

Postby ben306 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:50 pm

Now for a novice like myself Im trying to get to grips with whats what. This new camera of mine can shot in RAW, jpeg, RAW+jpeg?

Whats the advantages of shooting in RAW?
ben306

Reputation point: 0

Postby LM » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:03 am

Basically, when you take a photo in JPEG format, your exposure, white balance etc all get locked into place, so once you've taken the photo, that's what you're stuck with.

With RAW, you take the photo, but when you get back to the computer you can edit certain settings, like your exposure, which allows you to alter them if you've got it a touch wrong, or not got the effect you were looking for. It gives you more control over your photos outside the camera.

Also, RAW contains more data (i'm hoping this is right), so when you convert your RAW shots into JPEG, you get a slightly better quality photo. It gives you the maximum control, and the maximum quality from your camera.
LM

Postby djbolf » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:28 am

shoot in raw , tonemap pics in photomatix , cool arty effects that some people like , some people don't
djbolf

Location: M1 Junction 13 , 25min from pod , 45 mins from Ace cafe.

Return to Photography Discussion