Digital camera help

A place for Jay to post many pictures of empty warehouses as well as other to post pictures and discuss the geekier aspects of photography.

Moderator: ben306

Postby Hugh Jeers » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:13 pm

lostboy wrote:I like Vista it is more secure and I personally find it easy, Things like cmd can be brought up in a few secs (or using my own tool, one click) and finding things is easier for me, I really do suxxor with XP

Sssssshhhhhhh it works in my head :oops:

Have you been reading the computer equivalent of the Daily Star? Full of pretty pictures, but bollocks from start to finish?
Hugh Jeers

Reputation point: -5

Postby KillBill » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:27 am

Aye, it really is the Fisher Price OS, warning dialogues in 6ft high fonts, noobified dialogues, settings taken away because you don't need to bother your pretty little head like that, Windows knows best.

That's before you even get into the hopelessly crippled filesystem, the DRM ridden network layer, the 'are you really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really sure?' fucking annoyance that is User Account Control, the pathetic driver support, generally abysmal performance compared to XP on the same hardware, the list goes on.

Fista, is a complete clusterfuck, even by Microsoft's own admission. XP is the best OS they've ever produced (just look at its longevity and strong corporate use even now), Fista, is the worst, and that's even including Windows ME....
KillBill

Reputation point: 15

Postby Hugh Jeers » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:13 am

KillBill wrote:Aye, it really is the Fisher Price OS, warning dialogues in 6ft high fonts, noobified dialogues, settings taken away because you don't need to bother your pretty little head like that, Windows knows best.

That's before you even get into the hopelessly crippled filesystem, the DRM ridden network layer, the 'are you really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really sure?' fucking annoyance that is User Account Control, the pathetic driver support, generally abysmal performance compared to XP on the same hardware, the list goes on.

Fista, is a complete clusterfuck, even by Microsoft's own admission. XP is the best OS they've ever produced (just look at its longevity and strong corporate use even now), Fista, is the worst, and that's even including Windows ME....

I thought 2000 Pro was good TBH...
Hugh Jeers

Postby KillBill » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:32 am

2000 was very good but XP actually improved on its solid base in a lot of ways, its actually quite a bit quicker at certain tasks (boot / shutdown time in XP is less than a third of 2000s for instance), has better device support, particularly for the likes of scanners and cameras, removable media etc.

If you want a good no nonsense solid core OS, try NT4. Its rock solid stable, runs like lightening even on modest hardware (a full install of NT4 Workstation is less than 150MB :pmsl:), the only major problem is it doesn't have any USB support to speak of. Thats where 2000 came in, it was originally called NT 5 until very late in the beta process.

That's what you're supposed to do with progress, take something good, and make it better. Fista managed to make it worse in virtually every area, that's some achievement :?
KillBill

Reputation point: 15

Postby Lostboy » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:54 am

KillBill wrote:Aye, it really is the Fisher Price OS, warning dialogues in 6ft high fonts, noobified dialogues, settings taken away because you don't need to bother your pretty little head like that, Windows knows best.

UAC can be turned off in 2 minutes :P (or in 20 seconds with my program 8):roll:) I have to admit it is annoying with all the pop ups asking "A program is requesting access do you want to continue" or something like that but it is so viruses cant silently install like they can on XP.

But I'm sure you all grew up, Sorry, Have been using XP for a few years so are used to it.
Rusty wrote:
Captain Meowmix wrote:That's some serious quality work gone into that, but at the end of the day it's a just a Mini :(

That's a bit rich coming from someone who spunked billions onto a Calibra.
Lostboy

Reputation point: 20

Postby Hugh Jeers » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:14 am

lostboy wrote:UAC can be turned off in 2 minutes :P (or in 20 seconds with my program 8):roll:) I have to admit it is annoying with all the pop ups asking "A program is requesting access do you want to continue" or something like that but it is so viruses cant silently install like they can on XP.

But I'm sure you all grew up, Sorry, Have been using XP for a few years so are used to it.

I grew up on Windows 98, 2000 Pro and various incarnations of *nix.
Hugh Jeers

Postby LM » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:30 am

Had my laptop with Vista for 4 months now, and personally I fucking love it. It boots up fast, it runs fast, it has/does everything I need it to, and it can be taken anywhere. Uber.
LM

Reputation point: 0

Postby Lostboy » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:34 am

LM wrote:Had my laptop with Vista for 4 months now, and personally I fucking love it. It boots up fast, it runs fast, it has/does everything I need it to, and it can be taken anywhere. Uber.

What brand laptop is it? I have a medion desktop and it is fucking shite[size=84], But for £350 i suppose it's ok.[/SIZE]
Rusty wrote:
Captain Meowmix wrote:That's some serious quality work gone into that, but at the end of the day it's a just a Mini :(

Lostboy

Postby Hugh Jeers » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:54 am

Medion rule!
Hugh Jeers

Postby Lostboy » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:07 pm

Hugh, Die!

Tried doing what Killbill suggested (going to computer and looking for a removable drive) but to no avail.
Rusty wrote:

Lostboy

Postby Hugh Jeers » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:27 am

lostboy wrote:Hugh, Die!

Tried doing what Killbill suggested (going to computer and looking for a removable drive) but to no avail.

It must be that you're about as computer literate as my pet monkey then. Because the Medion I had was brilliant.
Hugh Jeers

Postby Teknobry » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:35 am

When you connect the camera via usb, do you get a notification in the bottom right hand corner that a device has been connected? (usually a sound as well)

Have you checked the settings on the camera, that when its connected to a pc it must be set to connect to it?
christ:
This message is hidden because christ is on your ignore list.

Teknobry

Reputation point: 42

Postby Lostboy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:27 am

Hugh Jeers wrote:It must be that you're about as computer literate as my pet monkey then. Because the Medion I had was brilliant.

Well mine is shite.

Teknobry wrote:When you connect the camera via usb, do you get a notification in the bottom right hand corner that a device has been connected? (usually a sound as well)

Have you checked the settings on the camera, that when its connected to a pc it must be set to connect to it?

Camera settings seem ok but no I don't get any kind of notification in the bottom corner, Will have to read the manual again but it doesn't seem to say much in there apart from connect it and the pics should auto download.

:pmsl::pmsl::pmsl::pmsl: @ the tags.
Rusty wrote:

Lostboy

Postby LM » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:20 pm

lostboy wrote:What brand laptop is it? I have a medion desktop and it is fucking shite[size=84], But for £350 i suppose it's ok.[/SIZE]

It's an Acer Aspire fella, the 7730 model.
LM

Reputation point: 0

Previous

Return to Photography Discussion