Rig Build Photos

A place for Jay to post many pictures of empty warehouses as well as other to post pictures and discuss the geekier aspects of photography.

Moderator: ben306

Rig Build Photos

Postby LM » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:47 pm

Decided to put together a DIY rig, which effectively, for those who don't know what the fuck i'm on about, allow shots like below to be taken...

There's various different types of rigs, various places they can connect to etc, and i'm definatly not the first to build/use one.

Basically, it's totally DIY. The only thing I bought was the two suction handles and the bolts/nuts/washers to fix it together.

Started off by seperating the head of my tripod from the legs, so the camera would have something to connect to...

Had an extendable pole, that didn't extend, which we normally use to wash the conservatory roof & back bedroom windows, so that got chopped up which left me with...

I basically set the pole up, measured in from one side a few inches, and drilled an 8mm hole. This would be the connecting point for one of the suction handles. I then did another 8mm hole about 500mm apart from the other so that the weight would be spread a bit more evenly.

I then set up the tripod head on the end of the pole, and drilled two 4mm holes through both the tripod pole and the pole it'self, obviously where the tripod head was going to fasten to the pole.

Didn't take photos of this, as it was fucking freezing and I wanted to get on with it. All of the above left me with this.

And with the camera connected...

Suction handles turned up this afternoon, I wrapped the pole from top to bottom in black tape, mainly just to neaten it up a bit, and also to keep it a little warmer, hands will get uber cold messing with a metal bar in this weather, got all the bolts and got everything all pieced together, which left me with this...

Total cost - £13.00

It's not exactly beautiful looking, and it hasn't been done using the best photography equipment, but it's all safe & secure, nothing wobbles or moves, and it holds fine when mounted. The suction handles themselves hold 30KG each, so more than enough for this.

Pissed it down tonight, so havent been able to get out and play with it, so i've still absolutely no idea if it's going to work how I want it to ie. will the pole be long enough to get some wide shots etc? Will have to test it out and find out. I've basically 'gone in blind' and just hoped it'd work.

Will post some shots up after i've had an hour testing with it, may have to swap poles, or add a few bits etc, but that's what the testings for. :tu:
LM

Reputation point: 0

Postby Sy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:05 pm

You've got camera equipment insurance right? I'll be honest I fear for your camera. :lol:

I'd love to build one, but to get what I'd want would cost a fair amount and for the times I'd use it I can't justify the outlay. Depending on the results of yours (and whether your camera lives to see another day :lol:) I might try some sort of rig up along those lines but with some modifications of my own.

One question though, you can rotate the head 180° so the camera is upside down on the rig can't you?
Sy

Postby LM » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:22 pm

PMSL. :pmsl:

It looks a bit bodge it & scarper, but honestly, it's all fine. But yes, i've got camera insurance, i'll have hold of the strap anyway whilst trying it out.

And yeah, I can rotate the head so the camera's upside down.

I'll probably end up making some mods to it once i've tried it out, i've got a feeling the pole isn't going to be long enough. At the moment, off a rough test fit (holding the pole against the back window of a car) it sticks out about 2.5-3ft. I'm hoping that with that over-hang, shooting at 18mm, it should produce something half decent.

Were you asking about rotating it upside down for the bonnet-clamped shots? I dont think the pole will be long enough, not this one anyway, to mount on the bonnet and get a full car shot, even at 18mm.

These are just words at the minute though, might be surprised when I get playing with it, or completely shot down and owned, time will tell.

Also, that's just a basic put-together I've photo'd. If you release the bolts a little bit, you can position the suckers differently, offset etc, so the pole can be lower or higher, rather than it being parallel (s).
LM

Postby Hugh Jeers » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:25 pm

I have a Jessops tripod which you can take to fuck about with if you like? Similar size to a CX440.
Hugh Jeers

Reputation point: -5

Postby LM » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:27 pm

JayD wrote:I have a Jessops tripod which you can take to fuck about with if you like? Similar size to a CX440.

Cheers fella, mine still works fine though, i've done it so that I can pull the rig apart, and slide the pole back into my tripod so it can be used normally again.

Thanks for the offer though.
LM

Postby Hugh Jeers » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:47 pm

LM wrote:Cheers fella, mine still works fine though, i've done it so that I can pull the rig apart, and slide the pole back into my tripod so it can be used normally again.

Thanks for the offer though.

No worries. Can't get fucking rid of the thing. Think it's gonna end up in the bin TBH.
Hugh Jeers

Postby LM » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:10 pm

If I could honestly find a use for it, i'd take it off you fella, but it'd just end up sat in the 'togging cupboard.
LM

Postby simon justin nixon » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:20 pm

Be interesting to see the results LM :D
simon justin nixon

Reputation point: 15

Postby LM » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:30 pm

Dont get too excited yet, it's going on your car first...:pmsl:
LM

Postby Hugh Jeers » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:40 pm

LM wrote:If I could honestly find a use for it, i'd take it off you fella, but it'd just end up sat in the 'togging cupboard.

Not really worth that - Two of the legs have dropped out of the higher legs, don't know how to put them back in. There's some plastic parts look like they hold the legs in, but Christ knows. Don't want anything for it. It's one of the heads with the spirit level built in, so if anyone can pick it up if they want it for spares, feel free.
Hugh Jeers

Postby simon justin nixon » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:08 am

LM wrote:Dont get too excited yet, it's going on your car first...:pmsl:

:pmsl:

Break my car and DIE.
simon justin nixon

Reputation point: 15

Postby Kev_Mk3 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:16 am

if the results work can see LM making more :lol:
[url=http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s91/bryshagskids/KevG.jpg]Image
[/URL]
Kev_Mk3

Reputation point: 5

Postby LM » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:19 am

Mike H wrote::pmsl:

Break my car and DIE.

That's why you're fixing it to the car, it'd be my luck for me to stand back and say '...uber or what?...' just as it falls off, smashing my camera to bits and putting your window through. :tu:

Kev - If I can DIY it, any fucker can, i'm useless with a drill etc.
LM

Postby djbolf » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:59 am

I built one myself , worked a treat , i used the same suction tings.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bolfotography/sets/72157603882958868/
djbolf

Location: M1 Junction 13 , 25min from pod , 45 mins from Ace cafe.

Postby LM » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:15 am

Looks promicing then. :tu:
LM

Next

Return to Photography Discussion